How do I become authorized to accept SNAP?

SNAP/food stamps are issued through the USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS). For information on accepting SNAP benefits at your market and/or applying to become a SNAP authorized retailer visit the FNS website here.

For more information or questions, call Maria Schamberger at the FNS office at (518) 431-6021 or email her at


Once you’re authorized, you are eligible to accept SNAP/food stamp cards at your market. The FNS number that you are designated will be used to begin an account with a wireless machine vendor